Brancepeth Station near Wainuioru in the hill country east of Masterton. The present building dates from the 1890s, though the station was established in 1856. It was once one of New Zealand’s largest sheep stations, with 31,000 hectares, a staff of over 300, and a permanent population of over 100. The grounds are magnificent, with grand established trees and more intimate plantings of shrubs and flowers. Not as polished as some of the other gardens we saw, but still a highlight of the tour.